The “St. Virgin Mary” church, built in 1840-1860, is the oldest one in Burgas. It’s located in the city centre, on “Lermontov” St., near the Armenian Church. Patron-saint of the church is the Holy Mother Virgin Mary, the most honoured saint among Orthodox Christians. The church building is a basilica with a nave and two aisles with 12 monolith marble columns, bearing the roof construction and the wide balconies. The church houses icons, painted by monks in the Holy Mountain of Athos. In 1927-1928 the two towers of the church were built and three impressive bells were put in one of them. After World War II, the church was pronounced a monument of culture.